December 16th, 2008
It is a good idea for some to consider pursuing M.Tech (via GATE) after B.Tech and then go for an academic job in engineering colleges. One may also consider doing a Ph.D and going after a faculty job in top institutions. Some of the reasons are:
- IT job market is getting tougher for fresh graduates.
- These days there are uncertainties in IT jobs for even people with experience.
- UGC salary has increased quite a bit. See also this latest PIB.
- There is a lot of demand for M.Techs for faculty positions in engineering colleges across India.
- See also the following piece in Samaja. (I don’t endorse the numbers, or the sentiment behind the trading, but it does give an idea regarding which jobs are stable. This may be useful to people looking for stability.)
- Eight new IITs, ten new NITs, 14 new National Universities and 16 central universities (13 of them new) are opening across India. A large number of faculty positions will be available in these places.