May 31st, 2007
Following is a list of existing and proposed universities in Orissa which I earlier compiled in http://www.orissalinks.com.
- Utkal University, Bhubaneswar. (location map)
- Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology, Bhubaneswar. (location map)
- Utkal University of Culture , Bhubaneswar
- KIIT–deemed university , Bhubaneswar. (location map)
- Ravenshaw University, Cuttack: (Became a university on November 15, 2006.) (location)
- CSIR (deemed university) [Ref] — Regional Research Laboratory , Bhubaneswar. (location map)
- Shri Jagannath Sanskrit Vishvavidyalaya, Puri.
- Berhampur University, Berhampur (location)
- Sambalpur University, Burla, Sambalpur (location)
- Fakirmohan University, Balasore: 
- North Orissa University, Takatpur, Baripada
- Biju Patnaik University of Technology, Rourkela
- National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
[ranked 17 nationally and 3 — after IIT KGP and IIT Guwahati– in the eastern zone in 2005 Dataquest ranking of Tech schools]
Proposed Universties (new designations or to be made from scratch)
- National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER): [PIB: Aug28′ 2006]
- IIIT Bhubaneswar (in the model of IIIT Bangalore; being pursued heavily; may start classes as soon as in 2007): [Pioneer June 28 06][Statesman June28 06] [Hindu June 29 06][NewIndPress June 29 06][Telegraph, July30][NewIndPress Nov 23 06][Tathya.in Nov 27 06] [foundation stone laid on Nov 29 2006]
- Vedanta University: ,,,[tathya.in July18], [Samaja July 19], [Press release July 20], [Samaja July 20 1,2], [Sambada July 20] [Statesman July 20] MORE
- AIIMS like institute in Bhubaneswar: 
- Sri Sri Ravishankar University [NewIndpressNov23 06]
- IIT Kharagpur’s branch campus in Bhubaneswar: ,,,,,,[7,8],
- Orissa University of Health sciences: , , [3:Pioneer], [4:NewIndPress]
- National Law School (several news reports have appeared on Orissa govt’s efforts towards having such a school) : [NewIndPress:Aug7,05]; [Panel formed-Pragativadi:Aug19′ 05:4th article]; [Sambada:Sept21’05]
- IT Institute (proposed by Anil Ambani; similar to or a branch of the Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication Technology at a cost of 1000 crores): ,
- July 1 05: Government of Orissa should immediately establish 1-2 comprehensive KBK University with several branch campuses among the locations of Koraput, Raygada, Bhawanipatna, and Balangir. It should then push for central university status for this university. This university should be named after the first widely publicized person who died of hunger in KBK as a reminder for governments (both central and state) not to ever forget about this area.
- May 2006: The renewal of RLTAP should include a proposal for 1-2 central universities in KBK.
- June 17 2006: Rayagada is a prime location for a new university in western Orissa. It is well connected and several private engineering colleges, MCA colleges and MBA colleges have come up here. It is a well-connected gateway to KBK, so the government could start here with a comprehensive university.
Entry Filed under: UNIVERSITIES: existing and upcoming