Bhubaneswar based Institute of Medical Sciences and Sum Hospital get nod for MBBS programme from 2007-08
June 1st, 2007
The New Indian Express reported that
"Institute of Medical Sciences and Sum Hospital, a sister concern of city-based technical college ITER, has got the nod of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare to admit 100 students to its MBBS programme from 2007-08 academic session."
It further added,
"The permission was granted on the recommendation of the Medical Council of India. The Institute of Dental Sciences, running under the aegis of the institute, has also received permission to increase its student intake from 50 to 100"
Orissa needs more doctors to serve in rural areas. The state produces less doctors than its requirements. This is a good sign to fulfill the gap. With this approval the medical college situation in Bhuabaneswar-CTC-Puri area will be as follows:
- SCB Medical College, Cuttack (govt, operational, 150 MBBS seats)
- Hi-Tec Medical College, Bhubaneswar (pvt,operational, 100 MBBS seats)
- SUM Hospital, Bhubaneswar (pvt, operational, 100 MBBS seats)
- Kalinga Institute of Medical Sciences, Bhubaneswar (pvt, operational, 100 MBBS seats)
- Capital Hospital Medical College, Bhubaneswar (govt, announced)
- AIIMS-clone, Bhubaneswar (govt, being made)
- Vedanta University’s medical college, Puri (pvt, planned)
- Sri Sri Ravishankar’s university medical college, Cuttack (pvt, planned)
The situation with respect to all of Orissa is listed here.