Its web page is http://www.indianarmy.gov.in/aad/indexmain.html. Following are some excerpts from that page.
The Army Air Defence College has an illustrious history dating back to pre independence era, when the School of Artillery was located at Quetta and the Anti Aircraft Wing was located at Karachi. When India gained Independence 1947, the School of Artillery and the Anti Aircraft Wing moved to Deolali. The Anti Aircraft Wing was renamed as the Air Defence Wing and was placed under School of Artillery.
In 1955 a case was taken up to relocate Air Defence Wing from Deolali, due to lack of adequate ranges for gun and missile firing. In 1963, the Government of Orissa offered 3000 acres of land at Gopalpur -On –Sea, along with seaward firing range, which was accepted in 1968. In 1979, Government of India sanctioned the establishment of Air Defence and Guided Missile School and Centre at Gopalpur – On – Sea. Gopalpur Cantonment was inaugurated on 30 October 1984 by late Shrimati Indira Gandhi, the Prime Minister of India.
7 comments January 9th, 2009