Following are excerpts from a report in dnaindia.com.
In order to bring down the shortage of doctors and improve healthcare services at the minutest level, the government is planning to have medical colleges in each district.
It has plans to convert district hospitals into training institute the paramedical personnel as well.
Besides, the government also plans to integrate AYUSH doctors and have capacity building programmes for other traditional healthcare providers such as Registered Medical Practitioners (RMPs) and Traditional Birth Attendants (TBA) so that traditional care practices and local remedies are encouraged.
… As of now medical colleges are concentrated in only 193 districts of the country … The rest 447 districts do not have any medical college.
Against 335 colleges, there are about 319 Auxiliary nurses and midwives (ANM) training schools, 49 health and family welfare training schools and only 34 LHV (Lady Health Visitor) schools.
The present doctor patient ratio 0.6 per 1000 while the ratio of health workers (including midwives, nurses etc) is 2.5 per 1000.
“To fill the gap in training needs of paramedical professionals, the 12th Plan proposes to develop each of the district hospitals into knowledge centres, and 4,535 CHCs into training institutions,” says the Planning Commission report.
Odisha with its 30 districts will greatly benefit by this plan. In Odisha only 4 of its districts currently have medical colleges: they are Cuttack, Khorda, Sambalpur and Ganjam. The 26 districts in Odisha that do not yet have medical colleges are: Angul (*), Boudha, Bhadrak, Balangir, Baragarh, Balasore, Deogarh, Dhenanal, Gajapati, Jharsuguda, Jajpur, Jagatsignhpur, Keonjhar, Kalahandi (*), Kandhamal, Koraput, Kendrapada, Malkangiri, Mayurbhanj, Nawarangpur, Nuapada, Nayagarh, Puri, Rayagada, Subarnapur, Sundergarh (*). Among these 26, private medical colleges are under construction in Angul (by MCL and NTPC), Kalahandi (WODC), and Sundergarh (in Rourkela by Hi-Tech).
August 30th, 2011
In addition to the proposed regional institute of paramedical sciences in Bhubaneswar (which we wrote about yesterday), the following article talks about ANM and GNM schools.
July 12th, 2011
Following is an excerpt from a UNI report in newkerala.com.
The institute, which would be set up under the joint collaboration of the Centre and the state government, would meet the requirement of paramedical staff in the entire eastern region, including Orissa.
This was disclosed during a high-level meeting here today under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik to assess the number of various health workers posts lying vacant in the state.
Earlier in May 2009 we wrote about such institutes in the other part of the country in http://www.orissalinks.com/archives/2344.
Earlier this year in June 2010 the cabinet had approved establishment of 1 national and 9 regional institutes of paramedical sciences across the country. I guess the one in Odisha is out of those. Following is the PIB article from June 2010 on that: ( http://pib.nic.in/release/release.asp?relid=62808 )
The Union Cabinet today approved the establishment of the National Institute of Paramedical Sciences (NIPS), Regional Institutes of Paramedical Sciences (RIPS) and a scheme to support the State Government Medical Colleges for conducting paramedical courses through a one time grant.
The total project cost for the proposal is Rs.1156.43 crore with a Central share of Rs.999.31 crore (85%) and the remaining Rs.157.12 crore (15%) being borne by the States.
This measure would lead to an additional yearly intake capacity of 14,480 to the health delivery system annually when fully implemented.
The initiative will augment the supply of skilled paramedical manpower and promote quality of paramedical training through standardisation of such education/courses across the country. The main components of the proposal are: Manpower development through support to State Government Medical Colleges in the form of a one time grant and establishment of one National Institute of Paramedical Sciences and eight Regional Institutes of Paramedical Sciences in various parts of the country as well as developing the existing regional Institute of Paramedical and Nursing Sciences (RIPANS), Aizawal as the 9th RIPS .
The financial implication to support the State Government medical colleges in the form of a one time grant for commencing/enhancing intake capacity of paramedical courses at Undergraduate and Post Graduate levels will be Rs.352 crore. For establishment of one National Institute of Paramedical Sciences, the total cost proposed is Rs.108.29 crore and amount required for 8 RIPS as well as developing the existing RIPANS as 9th RIPS will be Rs.696.14 crore.
October 29th, 2010