The following bullet points about the guidelines are from this article in tathya.in.
- The committee that will examine the proposals based on the guidelines will be headed by the Chief Secretary and Secretary of the Higher Education will be the Member Convener.
- Each private university shall be established by a separate Act, which will be passed by Odisha Legislative Assembly.
- Private university shall fulfill the minimum criteria in terms of programs, faculty, infrastructural facilities and financial viability.
- Any college opting to establish a private university should have been in existence for at least 15 years in the state, however in deserving cases the State Government may relax the condition of 15 years for
institutes of national and international repute.
- In ‘De Novo’ university category, where no such institution belonging to the promoter exists within Odisha as on date of commencement of the university will be devoted to unique and emerging areas of knowledge. These institutions should be promoted by persons/institutions of proven merit and reputation. Selection of universities in this category will be made by a committee of experts comprising eminent academicians and the Secretary of the department concerned dealing with the subject.
- Infrastructure requirement: At least 15 acres of land in urban area and 30 acres of land in non-urban area will be needed. For administrative building 1000 square meter and academic building 10,000 square meter will be required for a private university. Residential accommodation for teachers and hostel accommodation for students will be required.
- Corpus Fund: For institutions conducting professional program such as Engineering & Technology and Medicine it will be Rs.8 crore, where as for Management and Law it will be Rs.5 crore and for other programs Rs.4 crore kitty will be needed. For institutions conducting both professional and other programs will have Rs.10 as Corpus Fund, while for the ‘De Novo’ category of university; the Corpus Fund will be Rs.25 crore.
- Financial viability of the institution will be verified by the audited statements of accounts of the institutions for the previous 5 years.
- The Chancellor of the university will be an eminent educationist or a distinguished public figure and there will be no Pro-Chancellor.
- The Board of Management will be headed by the Vice Chancellor with the body consisting a minimum of 10 and maximum of 12 Members.
In the link http://www.orissalinks.com/archives/7127 we have the list of applicants as of 8/20/2011. Let us analyze some of those application in terms of the above criteria. (In that we will use the link http://www.orissalinks.com/archives/6243 which includes the dates when various professional colleges were started.)
- Centurion: Established on 12/23/2010. Its main constituent JITM started in 1997.
- Sri Sri: Act passed by GOO on 12/26/09. Classes to start in Fall 2012. Would have been considered in the de-novo category.
- ICFAI: Act passed by GOO on 3/9/10. No progress since then. Would have been considered in the de-novo category.
- Vedanta University: Bill passed by OLA in December 2009. Awaiting governor’s assent. Also awaiting supreme court verdict on land acquisition.
- Jagadguru Kripalu University: Would be considered in de-novo category.
- Xavier University: XIMB was started in 1987.
- Techno Global University: Techno started in 2005. It will have 15 years experience in 2020.
- Amrita Viswa Vidyapeetham University: Would be considered in de-novo category.
- Synergy University: Synergy started in 1999. It will have 15 years experience in 2014.
- Women’s university of Technology: Not sure about the foundation that is behind this. Could be KISD. KISD was started in 2001.
- Private University by Rai foundation: Would be considered in de-novo category.
- Amity University: Would be considered in de-novo category.
- University of Corporate Excellence: Would be considered in de-novo category.
- Silicon University: Silicon was started in 2001.
- ASBM University: Not sure when ASBM was started.
- Divine Global University by Divine Education Trust, Delhi: No idea about the trust behind it.
- GIET University, Gunupur: GIET was started in 1997.
- C. V. Raman International University Bhubaneswar: C. V. Raman was started in 1997.
- JPM University by Shree Chandulal Minda Memorial Trust: Do not know about this trust.
- Krupajal National University: Krupajal was started in 1999.
- Manipal: Would be considered in de-novo category.
- Odia University: Would be considered in de-novo category.
- Edu City in Rourkela by Knowledge Foundation, Jail Road, Jharpada, Bhubaneswar: Do not know about this trust.
So among the above XIMB, GIET and CVRaman have the required 15 years experience; Synergy and Krupajal will have that in 2014.
Add comment July 28th, 2012