I did a bit of research to figure out how to get a voter id in Odisha for someone who is from a rural area but now living in my parents place. This is what I found.
After elections are announced traveling voting registration camps are organized in various places and one can go there to do a new voter registration or update their voter registration data.
However, the voter registration ID (or some acceptable ID) may be needed for many other things (such as to open a bank account) and one may not have the luxury to wait till the next election. In that case, one may follow the procedure given below.
- Fill the form at http://eci.gov.in/eci_main/forms/form6.pdf and submit it to the ERO (Electoral registration Officer) of the Assembly Constituency where one is currently living. (This information is from http://eci.nic.in/eci_main1/Elecroll.aspx.)
- The list of EROs in Odisha is given at http://ceoorissa.nic.in/ERO.htm. For example, the ERO of Bhubanewar is Sri Saroj Ku. Samal, Sub-Collector,Bhubaneswar, Pin-751014, Phone: 0674 2432301 / 2397728 / 2432301 / 9437226644.
- Some of the documents that may be needed are:
- Matric/school certificate with DOB (See 5-iii in the from) [for Proof of Name; age; DOB]
- Postal department’s posts received / delivered in the applicant’s name at the given address. (See 8-iv in the form) [for Proof of Address]
The above pointers have more details.